Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Michael: Is Mary Peters an Alien?

John Green says his potential rival for the GOP Gubernatorial nomination Mary Peters doesn't meet Constitutional requirements to be Governor. Greene points out that Peters bought a house and registered to vote in Virginia two years ago after she was appointed to head the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) by Bush. Our Constitution requires that a candidate for Arizona Governor, or any elective executive office, have been a citizen for the five years prior to his or her election. It is possible that Peters may have changed her citizenship at that time.

The issue is far from settled by Greene's allegation, however. State citizenship is one of those murky areas of law that contains few bright line rules. Citizenship is largely, if not entirely, a matter of domocile. One changes ones domociliary status by moving to another state with the intent to remain, so just moving to another state, or even registering to vote there, does not change one's domocile unless you also have the requisite intent. Intent is an innately subjective standard, so it can be hard for a court to determine if one's testimony as to one's intent is contested. There are, of course, objective criteria which might indicate having such an intent, such as buying real property or registering to vote, among others.

This is likely to be a continuing issue of contention, possibly even litigation, if Mary Peters intends to stay in this race for the duration. It is also possible that this issue effect the first elimination from a crowded field of GOP Gubernatorial hopefuls.

If Peters stays in the race it will be interesting to see what is done with the rich mine of oppo research that her time at the FHWA represents. Consider also that the much-criticized and pork laden transportation bill was passed on her watch. Such a widely reviled spending bill might become an albatross around her neck with small government conservatives. Her strong advocacy of using toll roads and bridges as a means of upgrading Americas aging transportation infrastructure may alienate Democrats and Independents who could view such privatization as a yet another means of empowering profiteering contractors at the expense of the public welfare.

7 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There , I was just doing a search on the most recent information on free blog template and I found your post. Even though this post isn't what I was interested in, I can see why I found your page. I was looking for free blog template related topics. I'm glad I stopped by. Thank you for the great post.

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi , I'm trying to learn more about scott keiths blog when I found you. I really enjoyed your post. And I hope to learn more from you, thank you for all the information that you provided here. I was looking for scott keiths blog related information, when I bumped into you. The this post wasn't exactly what I was interested in. But I really enjoyed myself. Great Post..........

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ,

This is a great blog that you put together. I have really
learned a lot from you. Thanks for the great post.

I’m out searching for more info on internet marketing program when
I found your page.

Although this post isn’t a perfect match. I really
enjoyed your post.

I need to find more information on internet marketing program
related info.

Have you ever thought of adding Instant Audio to your
website and emails. It adds a personal touch to where
your prospects trust you, and listen to what you have
to say.

Click on the link to learn more. It’s time to put your
Business in overdrive!.........

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there , I'm tryin' to find the latest information on internet direct marketing when I found your site. Although this post wasn't a perfect match, I enjoyed the read.
Just shifting focus and tryin' to learn more on internet direct marketing and how your doing with it. Great information here, thanks.

I’m definitely going to book mark this page. And when you have time take a look at my
Link. It’s a absolute must for all marketers.

Thank You

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi , I'm searching for more information on internet marketing success, when I found your page. This is a great post, even though the this post wasn't a perfect match. I'm
not moving away from print advertising, just shifting focus and tryin' to learn more on internet marketing success and how your working it. I enjoyed the read.

I’m definitely going to book mark this page. And when you have time take a look at my
Link. It’s a absolute must for all marketers.

Thank You

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there ,

You have a great looking blog with a lot of helpful information.
I am book marking this page.

I was out searching for more info on advertising strategy when I found
your page. Although this post wasn’t exactly what I was
interested in. I had to stop……..GREAT POST

I’m tryin’ to find more information on advertising strategy.

Have you ever thought of adding Instant Audio to your
Website and emails?..... It will double your sales in the
First 30 days.

Click on the link to see how this will change the power of
your business.

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there ,

You have a great looking blog with a lot of helpful information.
I am book marking this page.

I was out searching for more info on advertising by email when I found
your page. Although this post wasn’t exactly what I was
interested in. I had to stop……..GREAT POST

I’m tryin’ to find more information on advertising by email.

Have you ever thought of adding Instant Audio to your
Website and emails?..... It will double your sales in the
First 30 days.

Click on the link to see how this will change the power of
your business.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Feeds:
RSS/Atom Feed Site Meter
Powered by Blogger