Saturday, October 22, 2005

Michael: Dunbar's Towering Listlessness

Ted Prezelski thinks the GOP Tucson city council imcumbents' campaigns are "listless". I would be inclined to agree if the measurement were general enthusiasm, fund-raising, volunteer activity, phone calls, mailings, television buys, radio spots... um, well, OK, he's got a point.

There is one campaign facet in which Kathleen Dunbar, at least, seems very active indeed: outdoor advertising. No, she doesn't have a lot of yard signs, or even more street signs than usual. What she has got is billboards. I've spotted two of them myself, and have little doubt there are others. Dunbar's pixie mug, looming 20 feet tall, grinning down at me with all her painfully earnest enthusiam as I drive to and from work, is almost enough to make me break down and vote for her. But I've long since voted by mail, and am thus imune to her goddess-like billboard manifestations. It makes quite an impression, though. Nothing "listless" about it.

I don't think I've ever seen a city council candidate take out multiple billboards. That has to have cost quite a chunk of Dunbar's lackluster war chest. I wonder if it is any coincidence that Dunbar seems so very motivated to make the potential lawsuits against billboard quasi-monopolist Clear Channel over their illegal billboards quietly go away?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Feeds:
RSS/Atom Feed Site Meter
Powered by Blogger