Friday, September 02, 2005

Michael: My Favorite Arizona Blogs

A blogroll can't really deliver an opinion on the quality and consistency of a blog very well. I have collected so many blogs by Arizonans that the cream is sometimes is danger of getting dispersed back into the whey. So I decided to take a small time-out from my outrage over the negligent destruction of NOLA to finger a few of my favorite Arizona bloggers.

In no particular order:

The Data Port by Art Jacobson gets regular hits from me. I like Art's writing and find his viewpoint endlessly thought-proving and entertaining. Art is a retired philosophy professor and motorcycle fanatic who lives in Tucson with his lovely wife Katherine, who writes for the Desert Leaf.

Rum, Romanism and Rebellion by Ted Prezelski is a good read. Ted is a deft and insightful commentator on Southern Arizona politics. His family are also enmeshed in local politics; his brother is in the state legislature and his mother is a doyen of local Democratic politics. Ted spearheaded the Clark campaign in 2004.

Now called The Arizona Eclectic, Gail Davis' web magazine (I'm not sure I dig this neologism... like blog is a tired term already?) is always a refreshing hit. She does some fun stuff with her design (I wish she'd redesign mine for me) and really celebrates Arizona's uniqueness.

Kevin Spidel's blog is always a worth a hit. Kevin is very active in the Progressive Caucus and always has lots of fresh news about what's what in the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party.

Dr. Kieran Healy's Weblog is one of my favorite stops. A professor of sociology at the UA, Dr. Healy is an Irishman. Not only is his writing always top-notch, witty and informative, but he tends to lend his reader a laudible tolerance and perspective on issues that they may not always remember to bring to the party themselves.

Tucson attorney Ken Sanders Politics of Dissent is like a bracing fist to the face of authority. He doesn't mince words. His postings are also periodically excerpted in the Arizona Daily Star's monday opinion section.

Group blog Unscrewing the Inscrutable is a free thinker's nature preserve. Atheists, evolutionists, and philosophers, oh my!

Doing a yeoman's job of keeping an eye on the public interest, Arizona Congress Watch tracks the shenanigans of Arizona's Congressional delegation. They are doing a great job of ferreting out the doings of the congress-critters. They should get a grant or something!

Temple Stark's blog is worth a regular hit. He's a reporter, so he talk pretty good, and always has something interesting to talk about. He's currently experimenting with podcasting, if that's your thing. Temple also helps to run PolState Report.

Dr. John Lynch, a evolutionary biologist at ASU's Barrett Honors College, has a blog he calls Stranger Fruit. Another Irishman, he blogs about biology, evolution, the creationist meanace, and public policy. It's always nice to get a scientist's perspective.

Joel Gaines' No Pundit Intended is the only conservative to make this list. And, believe me, it's not because we agree on much. I read Joel's blog because I know that he's the real deal. He's a fellow who walks his walk, not just talks his talk. Joel sometimes comments here, and he's always a respectful and articulate advocate for a different point of view, not just a knee-jerk bomb-thrower.

Jason Coyne's blog Jason for Arizona is a little difficult on the eyes (think mid-80s phosphorous CRTs), but is good for the soul. He's irreverent and funny. He identifies himself as a conservative Democrat, but I'm not buying it; Jason's a progressive. He's also excerpted periodically in the Arizona Daily Star's monday opinion section.

There are probably a lot more really good Arizona blogs out there. If you have one, or know of one that you read at least weekly, leave a comment and let me know about it.

9 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They should get a grant or something!

I agree. I think Congressman Flake should put it in the next appropriations bill. *laughs*

We've been having a ball doing it. It gets to be so addictive, like watching your favorite reality TV show... only the cast has the power to take your money and draft your friends!

Thanks for the call-out, Michael...

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link.

I began calling the 'gailonline' blog a magazine (half serious, half joke) when all the fuss was started about whether private blogs which promoted a particular political candidate would get the "media exemption." I always thought it was called free speech, but the concept of free speech and individual rights being somewhat passe ...

Besides it gave me a reason for another re-design.

Again, thanks ...
Gail Davis
www.gail-davis.com

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Joel Gaines said...

Michael,

Thanks for the nice words. I also appreciate your approach to reasoned debate.

Our medium is often caught in the vitriolic - and that isn't always bad. I would say though, that blogs like yours (and some of the others mentioned here) are what makes 50 million people a week turn to us for information.

Thanks again!

JG

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Michael Bryan said...

Joel if you're getting 50 million hits a week, I would appreciate it if you could steer, say, 1% of your traffic my way :)

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Zelph said...

Check out Desert Rat Democrat (shameless blog whoring), see what you think.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger JMCA said...

I'm honored I made the cut!

Btw, they nixed our pics! What's with that? I think we're going to start getting rotated out of the paper in favor of more variety. Which is good for politics, bad for me meeting women.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AZplace
http://azplace.net

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Michael Bryan said...

I also really like Kiva Oraibi's blog at http://oraibi.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Brent Rasmussen said...

Thanks for the link!

-Brent Rasmussen
Unscrewing The Inscrutable
http://www.brentrasmussen.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Feeds:
RSS/Atom Feed Site Meter
Powered by Blogger