Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Flakey Albuquerque Party

I'm in New Mexico for about a week, so for the next few days, this blog is BlogforArizona(andNewMexico).

I applogize for the last post, I had taken an Ambien and stationary objects were starting to crawl around the room as a wrote it :)

Yesterday I visited Albuquerque's Dean State HQ at 2929 Coors Blvd., NW, Suite 101D. They are very visible, Coors being one the major arterials in ALBQ. They have a huge, handpainted Dean sign out on the street, which is very well done. Until you look very closely you cannot tell it was hand made. The office is around the back of the large office complex in which it resides. There is ample parking and multiple entrances. They have more room than they actually need, so they can expand when the time comes, and large lobby/reception area, that can be used for large receptions or parties.

I met Mona, who is a former AFSCME representative and retired from the city planning department, though she is still so young looking I was inclined to disbelieve it. She wants to attend law school and become a Congresswoman in Dean's second term. Heck yeah!

I also met Van, who recently came on board as Assistant Campaign Manager. Van worked on the Gore campaign last time around and is well aware of Bush/Rove's dirty tricks. We're lucky to have him. Apparently, he is from Phoenix and good friends with our own Frank Costanzo.

After I left the office I went to a New Year's house party for Dean here in Albuquerque at the home of the Flakes. Kathy Flake is the fundraising coordinator for New Mexico. She has a lovely home in the Tanoan subdivision in the Northeast part of town. There were between 35 and 40 people present, and the press was there in addition; two reporters from the ALBQ journal and a photographer. This was just one party, though likely the largest, of 17 around New Mexico last night. There were parties in all the places one would expect, 2 in Albuquerque, 3 in Santa Fe, Las Cruces, and Farmington. But there were also parties in less likely spots like Hillsboro and Radium Springs.

Just before 8 local time Tipper Gore started off the teleconference by introducing Al, who spoke for about 10 minutes, then introduced Dean. Dean's stump was fairly stardard faire, plus a strong appeal to come help in Iowa. He took four questions from the highest grossing house parties around the country. Somewhat surprising to me, the highest grossing party was in St. Paul, MN.

At the end of the call, all lines were opened for a hearty "Happy Dean Year" from all 1400 parties across the nation.

I'm off with my wife, Lauren, to Santa Fe next were we are staying at the Casa Pacifica for several days. I will probably have a few spare moments to hook up with the Sante Fe Deans. The B&B has wifi access, a key selling point for me, so I may blog as well.

--Posted from Albuquerque

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Feeds:
RSS/Atom Feed Site Meter
Powered by Blogger