Sunday, September 21, 2003

Weedwacking for Dean or "Pass the Ibuprofen"

Jenny's message, posted by Michael, pretty much say it all. Except that using a 14 pound, 6 foot long pry bar to uproot buffelgrass introduced me to some muscles I had forgotten I had. It was fun, and I have great respect for the Native Plant Society's Sonoran Desert Weedwackers group, which does this difficult but vital work on a regular basis. I think we made a few converts to Dean, as one person left with a Dean sign, and another previously uncommitted woman was proudly wearing her new Dean T-shirt when we left.
After an appropriate period of recuperation, I joined Peter Newton and Barbara Tellman outside the Fox Theater block party last night. The event was not as condusive to public contact as we had hoped, but Peter and I hung around with the Light Rail Initiative folk in a sort of unofficial "free speech zone," holding up Dean signs and giving out Dean stickers. We got many positive gestures of support from pedestrains and motorists alike. And several people told me that Gov. Dean, "had [their] vote. All in all a good night in downtown Tucson. As to photos of the Weedwacking, Marilyn Hanson has sent them to both the Dean for AZ and Dean for America sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Feeds:
RSS/Atom Feed Site Meter
Powered by Blogger